Friday, February 11, 2011

The Post Bus makes it to town

I woke before the sun and packed my things to walk down to the post office to get the bus back to the capital city of Uganda, Kampala. From a general consensus, the bus that takes the mail to town is the way to go. It departs on time regardless of how full it is while other busses will wait until they are full before leaving. We left town at 7:30am and I knew right away it was going to be a long trip. The bus stopped at almost every cluster of houses along the way to pick up people, bunches of bananas or to let somebody off the bus to pee.

One town we arrived in and pulled to the side of the road and the entire bak double wheel of the bus sunk into a giant sewer hole. We were right up to the body of the bus! Everyone got off and stood around. I started to wonder what alternative arrangement I would need to make and out of nowhere came a tractor who negotiated a price with the driver ad lifted us out and on our way in less than 10 minutes. Amazing! I do wonder though if he made the pothole to have a business of rescuing people from it though. Made friends with my kind young seatmate Jamie. He is a recent graduae on his way to a job interview in micro finance in Kampala. Good jobs are scarce and moving across the country for one is common. Jamie helped me get a boda (motorcycle) ride to my hotel on arriving in town too. What a nice guy.

Tomorrow I am off white water rafting on the Nile river as my last hurrah here in Uganda before departing for Zanzibar island, Tanzania and meeting Jody. I am so excited to see him again

No comments:

Post a Comment