Sunday, February 20, 2011

Under the Sea



Today marks the 4th day in a row that we've spent under the sea scuba diving and I can't figure out for the life of me how I have a sunburn when I've spent most of my time under water! We are officially now advanced scuba divers and have seen lots of great things under the water. Our first ever night dive was  very cool, made especially memorable because we went to see our first wreck. Extra eerie at night for sure.

There is apparently a cyclone hitting Madagascar right now. I have not seen a television in about 2 weeks now, so who knows what actually is going on though. The winds have been high here causing very low visibility under water. It is a bit disappointing when we were expecting 30 meter and get 10 meter, but the water is warm with lots of great corals and fish. Jody didn't even wear a wetsuit today. One especially neat fish we saw today was a pair of seagrass ghost face pipefish. The divemaster was very pumped about that since they are not common here. We got a complete lesson on them. It was also nice to see a leaf fish for the first time, especially when they are very commonly a north east African coast fish.

Zanzibar island is almost entirely coral rock
We have one more day of diving to go and we're back to Stone Town. I was not expecting to like the town as much as I do, but its great. We have big plans to take the local public transportation (as much of the adventure as the destination) dala dalas to the only national park on the island that is home to an indigenous colobus monkey on Tuesday. Cross you fingers it goes well. We met a couple yesterday that got covered in fish blood when a box on the roof of the dala dala leaked.

Can't believe that I'm into my final week away. I feel like I've only just finally adjusted to being on African time. It may cause me some grief when I get back home.
A traditional dhow fishing vessel at low tide

No comments:

Post a Comment